PRODUCT: Edmond Briottet Crème de Peche
The Maison Briottet story begins in 1836 when the firm was founded by vineyard owner James Demontry, though at the time the business just traded wine. Edmond Briottet eventually took over running the firm, and soon thereafter acquired his father-in-law's wine trading company along with the facility at 12 Rue Berlier in the historic center of Dijon, where the company operates today. The location of the production facility is an important part of the Briottet vision, though it presents significant logistical challenges for production. Access for trucks on the small one-way street is difficult, and space is extremely limited, creating a limit on how much can be produced. Everything is made in small batches and only a tiny amount of stock is kept on hand. As Crème de Cassis de Dijon became more popular over time, Edmond transitioned his company away from trading wine and towards the production of the crème. By 1949, Edmond's son Andre produced Crème de Cassis de Dijon exclusively, and the company was making a name for itself in the local industry through active involvement in organizations furthering the development of Crème de Cassis de Dijon. Fifth generation Gérard Briottet joined the company in 1977, and recently retired in 2014. He passed operation of the company on to his children, Vincent and Claire Briottet, who joined the company in 2010 and look to take the Briottet legacy into the future.